In today’s fast moving age, education has evolved into new avatars. Having a sound educational background will definitely boost your career (most of the time-not always) and it goes a long way in proving to yourself that can accomplish some difficult tasks. The importance of a degree has exponentially escalated (certainly if you chose a major that matters), and so have the associated educational costs. Due to high fees, attending a college remains a dream for millions of students around the world. However, because of the advancement in information technology, students now have the option to enroll in college online and complete their education. Some benefits of attending college online are:
• The first and the foremost advantage is that your schedule is totally flexible. It is up to you decide when you should and will do your work, participate, and write your papers. Sometimes, it may so happen that you have to sign in into your account at a certain instant in order to interact with the other students. But apart from that, choose whatever time period is most convenient to you according to your proclivities and schedule.
• If you take college courses online, then you do not have to go anywhere. You can sit back at your home and continue your studies. You do not have to comb your hair or worry about if your clothes match! High school is over with; online studying is about hard work and dedication, not about wearing the right pair of sneakers! It usually happens that the rate at which you grasp certain concepts is slower or faster than your fellow students. But since you are studying alone at your home, work, friend’s home, and so on, you can set your own pace and study accordingly.
• It may appear that your online college costs almost the same as a regular college. But it is not true. If you attend college courses online, then you save a lot of money which would otherwise be spent commuting, buying clothes, buying fast food, buying several more books, and so on. Some online courses even offer tailor-made notes and other relevant study material, so you do not have to spend any money on various books! Online classes, though, may cost more per class; this is something to think about. University of Phoenix students know about that. It is all about convenience.
• You will come across people who will insist that if you enroll in college online, then you have taken the easy way out – which is a huge misconception. Staying at home and maintaining a fixed study-schedule is difficult for some, and so only those who are motivated can successfully complete the scheduled courses. Many people do not have the discipline to pass online classes; no one is going to look over your shoulder in this educational format!
• Attending a college online may, in fact, be more rewarding academically than you possibly think. Most online courses use audio-visual media which is interactive. Compare it to a college lecture (boring-trying to stay awake comes to mind), and you can see that online learning is special. You can meet people and make contacts around the world, certainly around America. Nowadays, online lectures are also available as downloadable media such as podcasts and video lessons.
A Different Way
Taking college courses online has some downsides, too (some have been mentioned). For example, if your Internet or your hard drive stops functioning, you will have to get this rectified quickly (unless you have a backup laptop on standby). So keep a backup of all your data; USB drives are wonderful for this.
Missed the Curve
An online education is not for everyone, but apparently it satisfies the educational needs of hundreds of thousands of college students. This is why traditional colleges are implementing online curriculums and programs and trying to compete with outstanding educational formats such as what the University of Phoenix offers.